I haven't gone back to school in 5 years, but living in a college town (with a grad student husband) forces me - and probably most people in town - to organize their lives around a school schedule. Summers in Charlottesville are quiet; the normally crowded roads clear out and the student hangouts are suddenly populated by townies who were too shy to venture out during the school year. But things rev up again in early August and you can't help but get wrapped up in the back-to-school excitement.
So, I created my ideal "Back-to-School" closet update made up of ethical and sustainable items. Of course, I don't have any need to purchase 10 items in one go (and I own versions of some of these things already), but it's fun to think about what would supplement my current wardrobe and mentally narrow down this list to a few key pieces.
Made in Charlottesville with injection molded soles and nontoxic glue
1. OESH La Vida Sneakers, $110.00
2. FashionABLE Monochrome Choker*, $38.00Made in Nashville, Tennessee
3. Sseko Designs Caramel T-Strap Sandals*, $59.99Handmade in Uganda under fair trade principles, leather sources from small scale meat industry
4. Dorsu Rolled Sleeve Crewneck in Plum, $37.00Made in Cambodia out of factory remnants under fair trade guidelines
5. Dorsu Roll-Neck Dress, $60.00Made in Cambodia out of factory remnant under fair trade guidelines
6. Monkee Genes Indigo Denim Skinnies, $85.00Made in England with organic cotton
7. Synergy Organic Clothing Sahara Full Skirt, $44.00Made in Nepal under fair trade guidelines using GOTS certified organic cotton
8. Komodo Black Floral Skirt via MadeFAIR, $53.24Made of sustainable tree cellulose (rayon) under fair trade guidelines in Indonesia
9. Braintree Clothing Latifa Hemp Skirt, $65.00Made from sustainable hemp and organic cotton under fair trade guidelines
10. Everlane Dipped Mini Zip Backpack, $70.00Made with transparent manufacturing and pricing in Dongguan, China
Are you going back to school? What items do you look for? I would love to see your wishlists and compare notes.