Rice and Beans is my main food group, but occasionally I like to mix things up. I went crazy earlier this week by making rice with tomatoes and kalamata olives instead! It was way more delicious than I anticipated - even Daniel liked it - so I thought I'd share it with you.
Serves 2-3 as main dish.
Preparation/Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 c. Minute or other quick cook brown rice
- 1 3/4 c. vegetable broth (one small carton or 13.7 oz.)
- 13-14 oz. grape tomatoes, cut in half
- handful kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1-3 cloves garlic (depending on size and preference)
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste
- feta cheese
- Bring vegetable broth to boil in medium sized sauce pan. Add rice according to instructions on your box of Minute rice.
- Cut grape tomatoes in half. Pit and dice kalamata olives. Finely chop garlic. Set aside.
- Once the rice is nearly cooked, add 1-2 tbsp. olive oil to a frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Add garlic, olives, and tomatoes and cook until garlic is fragrant (2-4 minutes).
- Add cooked rice and stir. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and parsley as desired.
- Turn off heat and add a hint of lemon juice. Crumble in feta cheese and stir until melted.